Painting at the Spider House

I painted this while sitting on the decked section of the patio at Spider House Coffee.  I decided to paint at this spot because of the old gliders and the metal-worked lanterns.  Also, it has a nice living room feel which gives the painting a connectedness that you would lose if you were painting people sitting at different tables.

As I have spoken about before, I never know how long people or their dogs will stay.  Unfortunately, the dog left before I could do her justice.

Please let me know if you want me to just show my paintings and talk about the art journaling behind each painting; AND/OR also talk about painting technique.  If you don’t let me know, I could be boring you!~Lavanna Martin

The patio of Spider House Coffee on Fruth Street in Austin

The patio of Spider House Coffee on Fruth Street in Austin

1. michellesolange
    Posted October 14, 2008 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

I like this. You do capture the living essence of a place, of a space, very well. I find myself wanting to experience this little world for real 🙂

2. Posted October 14, 2008 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

I love the fan. I know it’s about the people but I love the fan.

3. Posted October 15, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Hi, Michelle.

Thank you for that comment. I was wondering if I should include photographs of what I am painting. That kinds of spoils it, doesn’t it?

Spider House is very unique and worth the visit.

4. Posted October 15, 2008 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Hi, Owen.

Yeah, I kinda focused on it a bit much…:).

5. michellesolange
    Posted October 18, 2008 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Oh, no… please don’t supply photographs. I LOVE the descriptions and the paintings. You’re absolutely correct, it would spoil it, at least for me anyways. I am guilty of not wanting to critique things. I like to let what people have done affect me they way *they* would present it. I find with a photo I would want to study it rather than simply appreciate it for the illusion and effect. Yup. 🙂

6. Posted October 21, 2008 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Hi, Michelle.

Thank you for your comments and answering my question regarding photography. Hope you are writing.

~Lavanna Martin
    (sorry for the delay in responding – I got behind – under the weather).